05 September 2010

Worshipping at GPBC




I love our new church! Worshipping at Gloucester Place has been the highlight of our time here. Everyone has been so friendly and welcoming that it already feels like we belong. I love that about the Church - it really is a family.



I also love believers here in England. They are so REAL - that is the only word I can think of to describe it. Keith and I noticed this difference the first time we went on a mission trip to London. Maybe it is just the churches we have been to and the believers we have met, but faith just seems more real here in the UK. I think it has to do with the fact that being a Christain here is not really that common, and it certainly isn't popular or cool. At home, it seems a lot of people go to church on Sunday to "do the right thing" or they say they are Christian because that is what everyone says (especially in the Bible Belt of the South), but this claim hasn't really changed the way they live their life on a day to day basis. Here, when you meet a believer, their faith seems more genuine and deep, and they are committed to the church and the community. It is very encouraging.



I was also encouraged this morning when I looked around the congregation and noticed how diverse it seemed. Not only were there people from every generation, there were people from many different backgrounds and even countries. After talking with some people after church, I realized that beginning in our row and going back 3 rows we represented the United States, Eritrea, Latvia and Poland. How cool is that!

2 comments:

  1. Michelle,
    I thought you might enjoy hearing some N.T. Wright while you're in his homeland. Check out the audio stuff in all your spare time. Great, amazing teaching applicable to your context!
    http://www.ntwrightpage.com/
    J

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited everything is going well for you guys! And Michelle- I agree with you completely! NZ is just the same- totally NOT cool to be a Jesus freak, so if you claim to be one- you really are! It was such a culture shock for me when we moved here to the 'South'...I kept asking Russell- "is that person a Christian?" and he was like, yeah- everyone is. But then...Monday rolls around and you start to wonder! SO SO happy for your family, soak it up- you're a great example to us all xx

    ReplyDelete