![]() |
| This is a netball. It looks similar to a volleyball. |
I have experienced a new sport here in England - Netball! Last Sunday I went to see the One Church Netball Team (a group of ladies and youth from our church) play their last city league netball match. It was a really different sport than I expected, and I will try my best to describe it to my American friends who probably have never heard of netball.
Netball is played on a court that looks like a basketball court, but it is marked with different lines (see picture). Each side has a goal similar to basketball, but there is no backboard. Only 2 people on each team can shoot baskets, and each basket counts as a point. Of course, the team with the most points wins. Unlike basketball, you cannot dribble or move when you get the ball, and you have 3 seconds to pass the ball. Netball is a very quick game, but there is little contact.
Sadly, I didn't bring my friends luck, and they lost their game by one point. Even though it was a little confusing, I did get the basic idea of how to play netball, so I agreed to join the team for their next practice on Tuesday night. I figured it would be a good workout even if I did make a fool out of myself.
Thankfully, their training was a little slower than the game, and everyone was really great about explaining the rules to me as we played. The hardest part for me was the offsides rule. Depending on which position you are playing, there are only certain zones you can be in, and crossing certain lines puts you offsides. Needless to say, I was probably offsides every time down the court.
I did get the hang of not moving or dribbling when I got the ball, but my passes were a little unconventional. I basically passed the ball like a soccer throw in with both hands, while good netball players pass really hard and quickly with one hand. My friend Julie told me that could be my signature move. I thought that was a really nice way of saying that I looked like a big goofball.
The other part of netball I had a hard time with was the lack of contact. Let's just say I am a little aggressive when I play sports, and I am used to soccer where contact is just part of the game. Although netball is quick, it is very different that basketball in that you can't take the ball from someone or get too close to them when you are defending (even when the other person is shooting). I am afraid I might get thrown out of a real game for too much contact or yanking the ball out of some one's hands (it is so tempting!).
I really enjoyed netball practice. I have really missed playing team sports ever since my foot injuries have sidelined me from soccer. It was fun getting a good workout and hanging out with some new friends. Hopefully, I will be able to continue going to netball practices. I don't think they will ever want me to play a real game with them (I would for sure get in trouble for always being offsides or too much contact), but surely they could put up with me for an extra body for practice each week. I am not sure this is the ideal time in my life to pick up a new sport, but then again, deep down I might be a fabulous netball player and have just never known it. I will keep you posted on my netball future (it might be really short).


I love reading your UK posts. You have such a fun cheerful way of looking at everything! I remember you being quite the soccer player too! Netball sounds fun but way different to watch or play.
ReplyDelete