10 April 2011

Heat Wave Weekend

The Argus, our local paper, reported yesterday that we were having a mini heat wave.  This totally cracks me up because the high yesterday was 55 degrees.  I guess it does feel like a heat wave compared to the cold, dreary winter we have had, so whatever you want to call it, I like it.

It was so beautiful yesterday we decided to (finally) go to the beach for the day.  We packed a picnic lunch and headed down to the beach around noon.  The sun was shining, so even though it was only in the 50's, it was warm enough to lie in the sun and catch some rays.  After lunch, the wind picked up and it was a little chilly, but at least it wasn't scorching like a day on a Texas beach.  I could have stayed there doing nothing all day.







This morning I got up early and went with my friend Julie to watch her husband Michael run the Brighton Marathon.  Three guys from our church, Michael, John and Ron, were all running the marathon for the first time, so we went to support them all.  This is the second year for the Brighton Marathon and about 15,000 people ran.  Unlike most of our spread out point-to-point races the marathon here was a lot of out and backs in a pretty condensed area, so it made it easy to see our friends a lot during the day.






The highlight of the marathon for me happened before the race even started.  While Julie and I were at Preston Park (the starting line) before the race, I saw a man in a suit with an ornate gold chain around him.  I asked Julie what in the world that man was wearing, and she told me he was the mayor.  I had to get a picture with the mayor, so I sort of inched over by the mayor while Julie snapped a quick picture.  Unfortunately, the mayor's "handler" busted Julie, and he asked her if she had taken a picture.  We both thought Julie was about to get her camera confiscated, but instead he asked us if we wanted a proper picture with the mayor.  I was all over that, and here is the best picutre ever.  This one might be a framer.




Michael ran a great race, and he finished right around his goal time (which was excellent considering how hot is was today).  To celebrate we went with Julie and Michael to dinner at Woodies which is an American diner.  Even though Michael was the only one who earned it, we all stuffed ourselves full of burgers, fries, onion rings and Jones Sodas.  It was the perfect way to end a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. glad you had a good day, maybe you can show us how its done and take part in next years. im pleased with my effort, the heat was too much,(well i am from the north of england) and finished in just under 6hrs (ron hill)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant blog after a brilliant weekend ... It was fun today ... :) you forgot to mention though that we'd spotted the 'handler' before the picture was taken but we weren't worried cos he was really short and in your words Michelle .... You could take him!!!! (Julie House)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is the point is a beach if it isn't scorching hot?!? We wouldn't dream of going to the beach when it is 55 degrees. Not even 65! ; )

    I love the Mayor's ornate chains! Wow! Our mayor just wears a bad suit and tie!

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete