05 May 2012

Steam Train to Bath

I am only a little over a month behind on blogging, but a lot has happened in a few short weeks.  This time I have a good excuse for getting so behind.  Our computer finally died, so we had to send it to Scotland to get it fixed.  Anyway, the computer is back, and I am catching up.

At the end of March, we took a steam train from Brighton to Bath.  I am always trying to talk the family into going somewhere, so at the beginning of the year, I booked a trip to Bath and told everyone they were going.  It would be an understatement to say that Sutton wasn't excited about going, but the rest of us were up for the adventure. 

We caught the train at Preston Park Station which is near our house, so it was pretty convenient.  When we got to the station we even saw two couples from church who were taking the trip also.  The train went from Brighton to Salisbury where it made a stop to get water and load coal, and then it went on to Bath.

The family with the steam engine.

We ran into the Weales and Webbs from One Church.


When we arrived in Bath, we walked through town to get to the Roman Baths.  We spent the afternoon exploring the baths, and then we headed back to the station to catch the train back home around 4:30.

I don't know why we took a picture in front of the store but didn't get a Sally Lunn's bun.

Keith and the girls in front of the outdoor bath.

This lady is supposed to be a rich Roman, but she looks like Marge Simpson.

Couple picture by the bath.

The city of Bath is really beautiful.


We don't have any bluebonnets here, but I still made the girls take a picture with the Spring flowers.



I would like to say that we traveled home with no incidents, but that would not be true (and it would be such a boring story).  Unfortunately, when we stopped in Salisbury on the way home to water the train, we never got started again.  After being at the train station for a long time, they announced that there was something wrong with the steam engine, and it was not going to make the trip home.  Because a second engine was 4 hours away, we all had to catch a regular train back home.  Unfortunately, at this time of night the only train to catch took us nearly into London before we could head back down to Brighton.  It was a pain, but at least we made it home. 

Despite the technical difficulty on the way home, we all had a great trip.  We probably won't be taking a steam engine again, but we are glad we have had the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment